Are You My Mother?

A couple of weeks ago I started hearing a bird outside my office window. I couldn't figure out why it was so noisy especially since that area is nothing but rocks. But I was fascinated with it and so I'd randomly check to see what it was doing - which to me looked like nothing.

Last week, I realized the bird wasn't as vocal and that it was sitting in the rocks. She had made a nest!!! The bird is a Killdeer and they make their nests in random places, one of which is in rocks, and she had chosen outside our window to lay her four eggs. And not to leave the father out of the picture, he comes by and brings food for mom and I'm assuming takes his turn on the nest (at this point I can't honestly tell you which is the mom and which is the dad).

This sweet family has become ours to watch over and a couple of us are taking our jobs very seriously. Last week, I was typing away when I heard some banging on the window and realized the window cleaner was there. Then panic set in as I realized he was heading straight for the nest. I hustled outside and warned him about the nest and he carefully stepped around it (he was on a collision path so it was a good thing I let him know). Of course mom or dad was also there to try and steer him away from the nest, but not quite as successfully as I did.

After this close call and then the gardeners showing up, I felt we needed a permanent notice. So I created a sign and hung it in the neighboring office window, which is directly behind the nest. Would this catch your attention?

Sorry for the reflection on the window, but you get the idea!

Today I took a few photos of our little family. Unfortunately, mom wasn't very happy, but she settled back into nesting once I headed inside.

Mom on the nest
I'm getting a little close so she's moving away to distract me.
The four eggs, nestled amongst branches and rocks. Nothing like the comforts of home!
Mom trying to distract me.
Killdeer are famous for faking a broken wing in hopes the predator will follow them away from their nest.
The nest view from the office window - they're very well hidden (their on the right side, a little below center of the photo)
Mom watching us through the window, making sure we aren't coming after her babies again.
In researching Killdeers, they take about 24-28 days to hatch, so we're thinking we have about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks to go. I'll make sure and get photos of the babies when they arrive. Can't wait!!! Maybe we should hold a baby shower. What does one get a bird mother-to-be??

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor  – (June 9, 2011 at 5:40 AM)  

I love this! Can't wait to see how it all progresses!

StacyC  – (June 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM)  

Thanks Cath! It is so fun watching nature evolve.

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture

Followers

About This Blog

My posts are random. They cover a variety of subjects, but are mostly about things I enjoy, am inspired by, or catch my attention at that moment. I don't ever want to offend anyone by anything I write. This blog is a way to express myself and the interests I have. I hope you enjoy what I share.

Facebook Badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP