My second dad

We each have a father, it's a fact of life. Some of us are lucky to have additional fathers in our lives. I am one of those.

Dad Thomas came into my life in the early 80's through his daughter, the missionary that taught K the gospel. The Thomas family welcomed us with open arms and enfolded us in love and family activities. There were many times in those first years in Utah that they fed us, let us hang out in the evenings with them, and included us in family traditions (like the July 4th BBQ).

But I think the most memorable activity was each Christmas as we decorated their house. I posted earlier about those memories and the integral part it was in our Christmas season. So many memories come from those special occasions.

Well, as things happen in life, Dad Thomas has aged and his body over the past few years has slowly given up, even though his spirit and mind were still active. And so this past Sunday, he passed from this earth to his heavenly home.

Sad, for those of us left behind, but happiness for him as he is freed from a body that was holding him back. As I drove home the other night, a song from Brad Paisley came on my iPod and I was touched by how appropriately it was timed (my apologies to those that were driving the freeway at the time as tears streamed down my cheeks). The song is "When I Get Where I'm Going" and the chorus is what started the tears flowing:

Yeah when I get where I'm going,
there'll be only happy tears.
...
Yeah when I get where I'm going,
Don't cry for me down here.

How true these words are for I know that Dad Thomas is so very happy where he is.

Tomorrow is his funeral - a tribute to the amazing man that he was. He was kind, peaceful, devoted, loving, hard working, smart, and so much more. His love of sports provided hours of entertainment and discussions. He was a loyal BYU basketball fan for many, many years and attend as many home games as he could. He loved his family, the gospel, and life. He was a leader and an example to us all.

My life is truly blessed from the years spent as part of his family and I am grateful for his love and constant encouragement and interest in what was best for me. I know he will be missed, as I miss him now, but I look forward to the day when we will be reunited.

Thank you Dad Thomas. You have made an impact on many, many lives (including mine) in ways you may never know. I love you!

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture

Followers

About This Blog

My posts are random. They cover a variety of subjects, but are mostly about things I enjoy, am inspired by, or catch my attention at that moment. I don't ever want to offend anyone by anything I write. This blog is a way to express myself and the interests I have. I hope you enjoy what I share.

Facebook Badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP